Thursday, March 29, 2007

Emergency Tracheotomy with Ballpoint Pen


About halfway through the month of March, during which I attempted to do nothing but watch M*A*S*H in my free time, I started having dreams about M*A*S*H. In the first of these, Radar O'Reilly came to the high school yearbook office where I worked (I never actually worked on the North High yearbook), and exposed the publication as a fraud. This rather transparent anxiety dream about blogging was followed by another in which Hawkeye Pierce snuck out of his tent in the night to unleash a giant centipede he'd ordered from one of Radar's comic books. The creature's brain waves could be manipulated by remote control, and in a fit of despair, Pierce was about to demolish the entire armies of both sides to end the war the only way he saw possible. Though he had a change of heart, Henry Blake had received an even larger specimen, and in his grief over having missed the birth of his son Andrew, called forth his skyscraper-scaled minion from a subterranean cavern. Then I woke up.

Chalk it up to foolhardy ambition. It was probably inevitable that to hole oneself up with a sitcom about being isolated and surrounded by war would make one neurotic and depressed. This is not normally a problem with M*A*S*H, but it is the central folly of watching nothing but M*A*S*H. It's not the show's fault. You're not supposed to watch 11 years of sitcom in four weeks. The exercise has made me realize some realities of the daily film critic grind: how can you possibly have in-depth, coherent thoughts on a dozen new releases a week? So I'm happily reconfiguring my plans, not worrying about pounding out episode reviews quickly, and resuming Exploding Kinetoscope posting as normal. I'll certainly finish the task set forth, probably by year's end, but it was becoming exhausting, and stalling all other writing, to say nothing of housework.

* * * * *

Upcoming:
-April 1 sees Lucid Screening hosting a "White Elephant Blogathon", which is the best blogathon idea I've ever heard, and I'm looking forward to participating, but almost more excited to see the results.

-I'll be back by moon-up with some thoughts on this:

1 comment:

Mo said...

Oh my goodness! I wish I had come across your blog when you first began this. I am just like you, grew up watching the show and at one point could probably recite entire episodes by heart. I've been Netflixing 'em in order for a few months now. I almost don't want to go too fast because now with the extra bits on DVD that I never saw in the cut TV version, it's like a whole new show! And when it's over, it'll truly be over. And I will cry.

Good luck to you! It is really hard to find other M*A*S*H fans out there. I will have to go back and read all your posts.